FACeTS of Madeira

News and Views related to the work of Ed and Abbie Potter, Baptist missionaries on the island of Madeira, Portugal since 1976.


 


Funchal Baptist Church
Rua Silvestre Quintino de Freitas, 126
9050-097 FUNCHAL
Portugal
Tel: 291 234 484

Sunday Services
English 11:00 a.m.
Russian 4:00 p.m.
Portuguese 6:00 p.m.
Ask the Tourist Office or Hotel Reception for map or directions.

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Falsely Accused

When we got home very late on Christmas Eve (actually 2 a.m. Christmas morning), after the Cantata service and a late meal and gift exchange at José Carlos and Marcia's house, I went to check the e-mail and discovered that there was no DSL signal on the modem/router. Of course, no one is going to do anything on Christmas Day, and we were invited to spend the afternoon with another family of the church, so I didn't call the Internet provider until yesterday. After going through the routine of checking this, unplugging that and trying to reset the other, the technician on the other end of the phone line diagnosed the problem. My modem had given up the ghost and downloaded its last byte, so the company will be sending me a replacement. Until then, I won't have internet or e-mail at home. (I'm back in the office this morning.)

I would not have been surprised to hear the explanation from the other end, "Well, sir, your wife called us and asked us to disconnect your service over the holidays. It's her Christmas present. Merry Christmas!" In my imagination, I had entertained a false accusation against her; still, I wonder whether the "imaginary" gift would have been for me or for herself?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home