FACeTS of Madeira

News and Views related to the work of Ed and Abbie Potter, Baptist missionaries on the island of Madeira, Portugal since 1976.


 


Funchal Baptist Church
Rua Silvestre Quintino de Freitas, 126
9050-097 FUNCHAL
Portugal
Tel: 291 234 484

Sunday Services
English 11:00 a.m.
Russian 4:00 p.m.
Portuguese 6:00 p.m.
Ask the Tourist Office or Hotel Reception for map or directions.

Thursday, December 20, 2007

The Irresistible Urge to Brush My Teeth

Thursday morning. Had to get up earlier than usual because I give a private English lesson every Thursday before going to the office. I kept my eye on the clock because leaving the house a few minutes later than I should means getting caught in rush-hour traffic and taking an extra 20 minutes to get to town (yes, in our own way and on an island scale, we do have traffic jams). Yes, it was time to be going...to have been gone already, actually...and I had an irresistible urge to brush my teeth. Why? I brushed before I went to bed, and I hadn't eaten anything since I got up. I weighed the options: teeth or traffic? I HAD to brush my teeth, and the reason was---my Thursday morning student is my dentist.

I dutifully brushed my teeth, all the while knowing the good doctor was not going to check my teeth. During that hour, he's more concerned about his English pronunciation (what comes out of his mouth) than my oral hygiene (what's lurking in mine). It was just the thought of being in the presence of my dentist that made me take another minute or so of time before leaving home. And as I brushed, I reflected on that irresistible need, and made a spiritual application. One day it won't be the dentist I'll be standing before, but the Lord Himself; and I'm sure it won't be my teeth that will concern me most. The Psalmist knew the feeling: "Who shall ascend unto the hill of the LORD? or who shall stand in his holy place? He that hath clean hands and a pure heart..." (Psa. 24:3-4)

Lord, grant me the irresistible urge to keep my heart clean and pure before You.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home