FACeTS of Madeira

News and Views related to the work of Ed and Abbie Potter, Baptist missionaries on the island of Madeira, Portugal since 1976.


 


Funchal Baptist Church
Rua Silvestre Quintino de Freitas, 126
9050-097 FUNCHAL
Portugal
Tel: 291 234 484

Sunday Services
English 11:00 a.m.
Russian 4:00 p.m.
Portuguese 6:00 p.m.
Ask the Tourist Office or Hotel Reception for map or directions.

Sunday, September 11, 2011

She made my day

Dulles International Airport... I had just arrived from Newark on a propjet commuter plane and headed for the baggage carousel. Somehow the baggage claim was at the most distant part of the terminal from the gate where we arrived. It was a long, winding walk. Up and down, left then right, down then up... it wasn't even very clear about which carousel the bags for our flight would show up on. In the end, my bag didn't show up anyway. I expect it was the victim of a too-close connection at Newark; after going through immigration then customs, I almost didn't make the flight.

Claim Desk for United (now a part of Continental...or is it the other way around?) We had a Continental ticket but were flying on a United Airlines aircraft. I was not the only one there hunting bags...one man had been waiting over an hour, and they had informed him the bag was in the airport somewhere. He was understandably frustrated, and vocal about it; a Korean lady was distraught, all the more so when the lady on duty explained that someone had written down the wrong number on one of the forms, so they weren't sure where her bag was.

I explained my case to the agent, who made calls to the gate and to other areas. Her Latin American accent was so strong I had trouble understanding her. "Just wait," she said. She was back trying to resolve the problems of the others, the distraught Korean lady, in particular. I waited. I waited some more. Finally it was concluded that I would have to report the missing bag and have the airline deliver it to the hotel. As I turned to head for the other line where I would have to give all the details again, the agent thanked me for my patience. "God bless you!" she said. "And God bless you, too!" I added, surprised by her words. Having stood in her office for 30 or 40 minutes, I got the distinct impression she needed the blessing more than I did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home