FACeTS of Madeira

News and Views related to the work of Ed and Abbie Potter, Baptist missionaries on the island of Madeira, Portugal since 1976.


 


Funchal Baptist Church
Rua Silvestre Quintino de Freitas, 126
9050-097 FUNCHAL
Portugal
Tel: 291 234 484

Sunday Services
English 11:00 a.m.
Russian 4:00 p.m.
Portuguese 6:00 p.m.
Ask the Tourist Office or Hotel Reception for map or directions.

Friday, December 22, 2006

What Was I Thinking About?!

I should've known better. The Consul-general in Lisbon warned me. I went ahead and did it anyway: made reservations and bought tickets to fly to the US on Christmas Day.

Destination: Denver
CNN news Wednesday (and Thursday, and today): Colorado buried under blizzard...Denver airport closed...over 1000 flights cancelled...thousands of travellers stranded.

Back a couple of months ago when I told the consul-general about this first-Christmas-in-the-States-since-1975 trip I was planning, he said he tried to get back to his family in Michigan at Christmas a few years ago. They got as far as Chicago, and because of bad weather and strikes, they spent three days at O'Hare International. His wife told him he should NEVER EVER mention "going home for Christmas" again!

But we're going. Don't know how far we'll get or how long it will take to get there. Hopefully, conditions will improve by the time we're supposed to arrive late Monday night. I'd pack a snow shovel for this trip, but I'm trying to figure out how to get one through airport security. It's a moot question, in any case, since I couldn't find a snow shovel here in Madeira anyway. I knew I liked living in Madeira, and I've just remembered one of the reasons.

2 Comments:

Blogger Joy and Mark said...

I know...what were you thinking? 'Cause now we get to experience the blizzard too...
We'll all be at DIA waiting anxiously for you (by then, you should be fine...besides...you're coming in, not leaving which should be a little better). We love you and can't wait to see you. Don't worry - we won't open any Christmas gifts without you!!

2:53 PM  
Blogger Joy and Mark said...

I just realized that the whole "sentence" in parantheses above is a bit atrocious. Sorry, about the poor, punctuation and the completely, just really bad, sentence building skills. I, love, commas, in that post. =o)

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home