FACeTS of Madeira

News and Views related to the work of Ed and Abbie Potter, Baptist missionaries on the island of Madeira, Portugal since 1976.


 


Funchal Baptist Church
Rua Silvestre Quintino de Freitas, 126
9050-097 FUNCHAL
Portugal
Tel: 291 234 484

Sunday Services
English 11:00 a.m.
Russian 4:00 p.m.
Portuguese 6:00 p.m.
Ask the Tourist Office or Hotel Reception for map or directions.

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Technical difficulties


I have been offline since Saturday morning, when we began our trip
from Pueblo, CO, to Granite, OK. We made the trip fine, had a good
visit with Pastor Tim and his wife, Kathy; preached at the services
there yesterday morning, then drove to Joy and Mark's here in NW
Arkansas in about 6 hours. We had some really heavy rain part of
the time, the first real rains we've encountered so far.

I have a few pictures to post, but will wait until tomorrow. It has
taken me all day to get my computer up and running. I think the
wireless card has gone out, because every time I switch on the
wireless antenna, I get the Big Blue Screen. If you don't know what
I'm talking about, be content in your ignorance! By the time I worked
through the possible fixes, the day was gone, but I am glad that I
didn't lose any files (although I seem to have lost a dozen e-mails
in my attempts to reconfigure the system).

One piece of news: I spoke with Pastor Mike Rogers by phone last
night. I mentioned him in previous posts towards the end of last year
or the beginning of this year. His non-Hodgkins lymphoma was not
completely taken care of by the chemotherapy 6 months or so ago.
The cancer seems to have returned "with a vengeance". He has
done tests to see if the latest flare up is more of the previous
cancer or if it has evolved into something new. He will have three
days of chemo starting this Friday, and the treatment will be
repeated two to three weeks later. Depending on the results of
those treatments, he may have a third round of chemo. A
subsequent treatment being talked about is a stem cell replacement,
in which stem cells will be taken from his body and will be
reintroduced after he has undergone a massive round of chemo,
which will require him to be in isolation for 2-4 weeks. By his
voice on the phone, I would never have guessed he had any health
problem.

We also learned that Louisa, one of our church members, has been
told that she must have an immediate operation to remove a kidney
which has a large tumor. Only after doing a biopsy following the
operation will the doctors know if it is malignant, or not. Your
prayers for both of these are truly appreciated.

This posting is also a test to see how well the new Blogspot feature
works for posting by e-mail. If it works, it may make it easier to post,
which in turn may have no effect on how often I post, anyway. Here goes...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home