FACeTS of Madeira

News and Views related to the work of Ed and Abbie Potter, Baptist missionaries on the island of Madeira, Portugal since 1976.


 


Funchal Baptist Church
Rua Silvestre Quintino de Freitas, 126
9050-097 FUNCHAL
Portugal
Tel: 291 234 484

Sunday Services
English 11:00 a.m.
Russian 4:00 p.m.
Portuguese 6:00 p.m.
Ask the Tourist Office or Hotel Reception for map or directions.

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Something a little different

Mostly odds and ends...
(Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them.)


These first pictures were taken back in 2006, just after I had bought a new digital camera, and I was trying out as many of features as I could. While we were staying at Eureka Springs, Arkansas, for our 40th wedding anniversary, I took a lot of pictures. We were intrigued by this very small hummingbird feeding on the flowers.


It was only after I got the picture on the computer screen and saw it enlarged that I realized it was neither a hummingbird, nor a bumblebee. Came to find out that it is a bumblebee moth...or perhaps a hummingbird moth (different species, but I haven't found enough detailed information to know which this was). There is a link here and here about the bumblebee moth, if you really have to know something about it.



In this second case, there was no confusion about whether it was a bumblebee or hummingbird.



And as I was trying out the camera, I experimented with the timer...this was us a couple of years ago, when we'd only been married 40 years.


Well, I warned you this was about odds and ends. I suppose we qualify to be classified as some of the odds.

But this is really odd

We were visiting Roy and Dawn's this summer and there were a few wasps flying around...landing uncomfortably close at times:


But Dawn said something about one of them that kept coming back, and there was something strange about him. When she pointed him out, I saw that there was something indeed different, but couldn't figure out what.


So I chased him with my camera, and actually succeed in getting a couple pictures of him "on the wing" (and several I didn't succeed at all). This second one was even clearer:



It was only when he landed that I got the clear shot I needed.

and when enlarged, it's easy to see that he was carrying a worm attached to his underside.


From a brief foray into the wonderful world of WWW, I see that worms and wasps apparently have more to do with each other than I imagined. I didn't find any description of this sort of relationship, however. I'm sure you NEVER EVER guessed you'd be reading about bumblebee moths and hitchhiking caterpillars when you started reading this. Aren't you glad you didn't quit before the final chapter?



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home