FACeTS of Madeira

News and Views related to the work of Ed and Abbie Potter, Baptist missionaries on the island of Madeira, Portugal since 1976.


 


Funchal Baptist Church
Rua Silvestre Quintino de Freitas, 126
9050-097 FUNCHAL
Portugal
Tel: 291 234 484

Sunday Services
English 11:00 a.m.
Russian 4:00 p.m.
Portuguese 6:00 p.m.
Ask the Tourist Office or Hotel Reception for map or directions.

Saturday, July 14, 2007

And now, that comment

This is a follow-up to the previous post, when I left the main news item without comment. Al Mohler, of the Southern Baptist Convention, has written a very good comment, so I'll let him do the work. The only other thing I would add is that, so far, I haven't seen any reference to this in the press here. Perhaps it has appeared in newspapers on the mainland, but I haven't seen anything locally.

When I posted the previous entry on the Portuguese blog, I re-worded the title to read: "Surprised? I'm not." Al Mohler entitled his, "No, I'm not offended".

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (BP)--Aren't you offended? That is the question many evangelicals are being asked in the wake of a recent document released by the Vatican. The document declares that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church -- or, in words the Vatican would prefer to use, the only institutional form in which the Church of Christ subsists.

No, I am not offended. In the first place, I am not offended because this is not an issue in which emotion should play a key role. This is a theological question, and our response should be theological, not emotional. Secondly, I am not offended because I am not surprised. (more)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home