FACeTS of Madeira

News and Views related to the work of Ed and Abbie Potter, Baptist missionaries on the island of Madeira, Portugal since 1976.


 


Funchal Baptist Church
Rua Silvestre Quintino de Freitas, 126
9050-097 FUNCHAL
Portugal
Tel: 291 234 484

Sunday Services
English 11:00 a.m.
Russian 4:00 p.m.
Portuguese 6:00 p.m.
Ask the Tourist Office or Hotel Reception for map or directions.

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Mike's Musings - 1

If you check back a few weeks on this blog (late January, early February), you'll read about my life-long friend and brother, Mike Rogers, as he learned that laboratory tests confirmed he has non-Hodgkins lymphoma, which has spread throughout his body.

Mike has always been one given to musings. He was never afraid to think "outside the box", and there have been times when I thought he might have strayed too far away from the box. But he didn't mind if I told him so, and that has actually worked both directions.

The news about his cancer has caused him to take another look at things: his life, the world. He has proposed to write his thoughts down from time to time, but he said he would not "force them on anyone". Neither will I. But I will give you the chance to read them. Maybe we, too, will see the world a bit differently, looking through Mike's eyes.

Musings #1 - However We Assume the World Is, It Actually Is the Way It Is

The first time I remember realizing the world is fundamentally not the way I assumed it to be, was in my late teens (1967). I was still living with my parents in Asuncion, Paraguay. I had gone by bus with my friend and fellow church member, Laureano Arriola, some 90 miles out into the country to a town, Primero de Marzo, where Dad was starting a new church. My family was supposed to come on Sunday to hold services and take us back to Asuncion with them. But all that day they didn’t show up.



Laureano and I were stranded without money to buy food or lodging,... (more)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home