FACeTS of Madeira

News and Views related to the work of Ed and Abbie Potter, Baptist missionaries on the island of Madeira, Portugal since 1976.


 


Funchal Baptist Church
Rua Silvestre Quintino de Freitas, 126
9050-097 FUNCHAL
Portugal
Tel: 291 234 484

Sunday Services
English 11:00 a.m.
Russian 4:00 p.m.
Portuguese 6:00 p.m.
Ask the Tourist Office or Hotel Reception for map or directions.

Thursday, July 21, 2005

The Real War of the Worlds

Occasionally, Abbie and I get to see a movie; we pick and choose, partly based on whether we have the time to go, and also on whether we feel the movie is worth seeing, so we don't see very many. Last night we decided to see War of the Worlds, and we invited José Carlos to go with us, since his wife, Marcia, has gone to Brazil for 6 or 7 weeks to visit her family.

Honestly, none of us was particularly impressed by the movie, as such, but there were a lot of special effects, as is the case of most films nowadays. As José Carlos commented, take away the special effects and there wasn't really much else to the film. When it was over, and we had been attacked by ugly aliens and seen the carnage they had wreaked, we asked each other if we would be able to go home and sleep without having horrible dreams.

That was last night. That was at the movies.

Today, in the real world: a couple in our church have missed the last three Sundays, and as early as last week we knew there must have been some problem. We tried to make an appointment to have coffee with the couple to see what's going on, but the wife's reactions to each contact attempt made it apparent that we were not going to have that opportunity. Although she said they would be at church Sunday, and we could set up something then, the fact is they didn't come last Sunday, either. I felt a heavy burden on my heart to get in touch with them.

I called him instead of her this time. Yes, there were problems, he admitted. My first concern was that it was something Abbie or I had done or said that had caused offence. But he assured me it was not us, nor any person in the church, nor the church as a whole; the problem is a personal one between them. He never came out and said so directly, but as we talked, it dawned on me: "You're not living together, are you?"

"I couldn't stand it any longer. I didn't deserve to be treated that way. I moved in with a friend, who's letting me stay with him." He went on to say that he didn't come to church last Sunday because he didn't want to face the questions others were sure to ask regarding his wife's absence.

He had wanted to talk to me about it but was embarrassed. Over the phone with each of us in our respective offices, this wasn't the time or place to get into any more detailed discussions. I assured him of our prayers and that we were willing to talk with him or both of them any time. This is one of the couples we have been counting on in the church, and who have taken an active part in various aspects of the church's ministry. It took me completely off guard. I told Abbie when I got home, and she was just as surprised.

I only mentioned their names for prayer tonight at church, but didn't mention the specific news of the separation. When everyone was gone, I told José Carlos, as being one of the main pillars and leaders in the church, knowing he would not spread any talk, but would be in prayer for this couple. We talked about how best to help this couple; although we know nothing about the specific problems that have led to this breakup, we can sense the hurt they must be going through; we remarked how Satan had once again struck a hard blow to the Lord's church here. "He just never gives up."

As we parted, Abbie asked José Carlos if he slept OK last night, following that movie. "No problem at all!" he replied. "It's what I've just heard tonight that is more likely to keep me awake."

I agreed with him. "What we saw last night was fiction; this is the real War of the Worlds!"


Note: I wrote this post last night (Wednesday) after getting home from the prayer meeting and Bible study. I held off posting it because other members of the church were not yet aware of this situation. Today, Roberto called and asked if I knew anything specific about this problem, since every attempt to call the couple resulted in the connection being cut off or a very general statement about there being some problems. Roberto's wife, Mili, began to wonder, as we had, if it was something she had done or said, and she was becoming very disturbed in her own spiritual life because this couple was obviously avoiding her and Roberto. In order to set her mind at rest, I told Roberto what I knew. Unfortunately, the unwillingness of the couple to speak with anyone in the church about their problem not only kept the church from offering any possible help to avoid a separation, but it also began to create unnecessary suspicions and spiritual distress in the lives of other members. Would you pray with us for this couple, and for us as a church that we would have wisdom in our dealings with them? Their names are Francisco and Ester. This is not the movies, where death and injury are simulated. In the Real War of the Worlds, the victims are real, the pain is real, the consequences are real...and eternal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home