FACeTS of Madeira

News and Views related to the work of Ed and Abbie Potter, Baptist missionaries on the island of Madeira, Portugal since 1976.


 


Funchal Baptist Church
Rua Silvestre Quintino de Freitas, 126
9050-097 FUNCHAL
Portugal
Tel: 291 234 484

Sunday Services
English 11:00 a.m.
Russian 4:00 p.m.
Portuguese 6:00 p.m.
Ask the Tourist Office or Hotel Reception for map or directions.

Saturday, June 25, 2005

Day 1 - May 13 – Friday: The flight

We left Madeira at 7:20 p.m. as scheduled, and the Ukrainian Air flight also left from Lisbon on schedule, at about 10:15 p.m.
Once on the plane we know we have left familiar Portuguese culture...we are among the very few on board who are not native Ukrainian speakers. "Fortunately" the pilot and cabin staff give the announcements in English as well as Ukrainian. Fortunately I understand a little Ukrainian. Unfortunately they speak too fast and muffled for me to understand. Fortunately I understand English well. Unfortunately he speaks too fast and muffled for me to understand. We're not always sure when he's switched from one to the other.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Abbie and Ed,

I have enjoyed reading your postings about your trip to Ukraine. I am only sorry that you will not still be in the country when I arrive in Kiev on July 6th. I will be met at the airport by Steve Benham and Sasha Kreshchuk, Minister of Music at Central Baptist Church. I enjoyed seeing your photos of the interior of Central Baptist Church. It's a small world!

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home